Remote: Start 100% REMOTE. Hybrid remote post-pandemic.
We are recruiting a Linux system administrator to support our command line only infrastructure. We optimize for performance and efficiency, reducing cost and improving run times. You will be required to pass a command line only proficiency test to demonstrate your capabilities. We run a large scientific supercomputer with an environment built on both hardware and free, opensource virtualization and containerization. You should know what you are doing at the command line with built-in Linux capabilities and you must be willing to learn.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field (mathematics, engineering, computer sciences, physics, etc.)
- Proficiency test demonstrating command line capabilities without internet resources, external guidance, and limited peripherals
- *U.S. Citizen*
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Security Clearance
- Strong attention to detail and consistent work (all systems are configured the same, any changes are applied to all the systems at once)
- Installing, configuring, and troubleshooting RHEL 7/8 operating system issues on air gapped networks (no access to google or the internet)
- Strong understanding of EL 7/8 features, built-in commands, tools, and configuration files (no access to google or the internet)
- Frequent use and understanding of man pages
- Ability to problem-solve with minimal guidance and supervision
- Highly driven to improve skillset and gain new knowledge
- Strong scripting background in languages such as python or bash
- Excellent research skills with a strong focus on testing implementations before executing in production
- Debugging hardware and software problems on our Linux infrastructure
- Writing custom scripts to automate system tasks and troubleshoot server or network issues
We run advanced scientific applications, turning over up to 50TB of new data on a daily basis, to solve engineering problems other companies fail to solve. Our numerical solvers are developed in-house by our engineers and developers, providing customers with customized solutions to a variety of difficult problems.
- Experience with scientific and/or engineering code development
- Configuration management and automation (e.g. Ansible, Salt, Puppet, CFEngine, Chef)
- Broad understanding of network technologies and security
- Knowledge of Python, preferably OOP (classes, inheritance, polymorphism, etc.)
- Experience with Git version control
- Experience with RHEL derivatives like CentOS, specifically EL 7 and 8.
- Prefer active security clearance
- Paid gym membership
- Company nerf gun wars (nerf guns provided on hire)
- Loungeski recreational area stocked with snacks and hoppy beverages
- Kayaks and paddle boards to surf the lake at our headquarter location
- Frisbee golf tournaments in our backyard woods
- Bonfire and grill areas available for 24/7 use
- Quarterly barbeques which include ½ workday, homemade pudding shots and company supplied hoppy beverages
- Free 24/7 coffee and candy!
- Company Kitchen and balconies on each floor (hammocks are available)
- Onsite showers available 24/7
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com